Monday, April 9, 2007

Green Mamba


So after I found out that Ruth May was killed by a green mamba snake I was kind of fascinated to learn about this "evil" thing that killed her. It was also kind of ironic I think that Ruth May was killed by a green mamba snake because she was always so infatuated with it. I hope that you all enjoy this little tidbit of information about this creature and although I know that this isn't one of the correct lit circle information thingys but I hope that you guys still enjoy the information about it.

This snake was probably a western green mamba on account of the Congo being on the western side of Africa. The scientific name of this species is Dendroaspis virdis. It is the biggest tree dwelling mamba and can grow averagly from 140-210 cm with some growing up to 300 cm. Usually green mambas hunt during the day and will hunt birds and lizards and small mammals. Now the intresting part is thaqt usually the green mamba will flee form humans in the wild but if it is cornered or trapped will hiss or strike out to defend itself. The poison that the snake uses is a neuraltoxin or affects the nervous system so that heartbeat and respitary systems stop. Another intresting fact about this snake is that it will stike its prey and leave it to die which is different than other snakes. It can flee from a scene at about 7 mph which is twice as fast as any other african snake. This explains how the snake killed Ruth May. It striked because it was cornered and threatened moved at 7mph and stuck her and moved on. The poison also explains why she turned blue because those parts of the body were lacking in oxygen so they turned blue.

Sites http://www.jaxzoo.org/things/biofacts/GreenMamba.asp
http://www.kingsnake.com/elapids/western_green_mamba.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_green_mamba for the pic

No comments: