Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mosquito Coast

So I was supposed to do this post before the spring break but I guess that I didn't see it or I was to lazy. Well either way I am doing it now so yeah. So in this post I am supposed to compare Poison Wood Bible to the movie Mosquito Coast.

So today I we finally finished the whole movie so I am now able to do it all. I noticed that the fathers of both family in the movie and the book are similar in their own ways as well as their own obsessions. In PWB the father is so focused on preaching the word of god to the lower pagan people that he forgets about his family. Now the father in the mosquito coast is a scientist who is so brilliant that he sometimes forgets about his family. In both cases the fathers think that they are better than the savages who live with them. One because he was sent by God to educate and lead these people to a better life. Another because he is so much "smarter" than these other people in technology and modern sense that he wont even take advice or help from a good thinking person. In both cases the father is the reason that the family go to the other part of the world and is ultimatly the reason for the downfall of the family.

No comments: